I made this jacket and skirt in the early part of 2016 and wore it to a concert in March, and unfortunately didn’t get pictures. I wore it again to a Pittsburgh Historical Music Society concert at Depreciation Lands Museum in February 2017 and remedied that! I designed the outfit based on this original in chintz at Colonial Williamsburg:
BUT … the motif on my fabric is much larger and didn’t look good with the ruffle. I didn’t want long sleeves so I made 3/4 sleeves, and I don’t look that great in the base color so I needed to add some trim in coral pink to help it not wash me out. So the result doesn’t look much like the inspiration!
The fabric was an Ebay find – it is a very light pearl-ish gray colored silk taffeta embroidered with Jacobian looking coral pink flowers and green leaves and vines. I did copy the peplum with ruffle from the original, and added the same ruffle to the neckline and sleeves. As I was short on time I did not hand sew the trim – I sewed it with a double seam and I actually like the way it turned out. The bodice is lined with cotton canvas. I used my fitted JP Ryan English Nightgown pattern for the bodice and just made up the peplum as I went along.
I love it with the pink Dames a la Mode necklace, but the neckline is really low. I am talking millimeters above the top of my stays. It would be less revealing with a tucker, or a poofy late 18th century fichu as shown in the last 2 photos. All night I felt like one of my clams was going to pop out of the bodice and land in my drink.